Hawkshead, Lancashire, England
Hawkshead is an ancient township that has flourished since Norse times, belonging to the Furness Abbey until the 12th Century. The monks owned Hawkshead Hall, just outside the village, of which the National Trust-owned Hawkshead Courthouse is all that remains. After the dissolutions of the monasteries in 1537, Hawkshead grew as a market town with many buildings dating from the 17th Century
St. Michael and All Angels, Hawkshead, Lancashire, England
St Michael & All Angels Church stands high looking out over the village of Hawkshead, and having fine views to Esthwaite Water, Claife Heights, Latterbarrow, Helvellyn and the Langdales. William Wordsworth, who went to school in Hawkshead, liked to sit at the top of the churchyard.
The Church is thought to have been built in 1500, the oldest part being the tower which has eight bells. The interior is surprisingly large, and has many interesting features. The nave is 70 feet long, with north and south isles, and the huge pillars support large round arches which are decoratively painted.
In the churchyard is the tall and beautiful War memorial, erected in 1919, and designed by W.G. Collingwood. He based the design on the ancient runic cross of about 1000 A.D. at Gosforth.